As of Monday, August 12, 2013, it’s official. I’m CANCER FREE!
And all of this is 5 months.
Here’s what I learned from March 28th to August 12th:
1) Always listen to your mother
2) It’s not a lump. it’s a frozen pea.
3) If you feel a hard frozed pea anywhere in your breast, get it checked out ASAP!!!
4) If the pea is squishy like it is defrosting, not urgent but not good.
MY CANCER TIMELINE:
James Watkins (my husband) was with me for every single appointment, visit, everything. He takes care of me and loves me. And I love him.
- Jan, Feb, March 2013: mom keeps telling me to get a physical
- March 28 2013: I get a physical. Dr feels a small lump basically in my left armpit. Was leaving the next day on a business trip, but set up a mammogram for day I came back.
- April 8 2013: Get mammogram, and Dr wasn’t comfortable with what she was seeing. She did immediate biopsy
- April 9 2013: I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. And I named my lump “Lumpy” short for Lumpina.
- May 7 2013: I had 3 surgeries at once. They removed Lumpy (yippee). They removed some of my sentinel lymph nodes (to determine if Lumpy was spreading), and the girls got a free reduction and lift!!!!
- June 2013: Determined that I did NOT NEED CHEMO (there was much rejoicing and happy dances that day)
- July 2-August 12 2013: Every Mon-Fri, my husband drove us 20 miles to radiation center where my left breast was blasted w/radiation to kill any rogue Lumpy cells. And then he drove me to work, and picked me up. Every single day.
Except for about 2-3 weeks to recover from surgery, I worked this whole time.