I’m working in Articulate today. I had a course that has 15 slides – 6 of which are videos. On slide 6, they get to choose which video they want to watch. I had placed hyperlinks to the appropriate slides, but YIKES…they didn’t work!
Turns out that hyperlinks to slides with a comma in the title won’t work.
What I learned: For me, it was links to slides with either commas, colons, or dashes.
- DO’NT USE SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN SLIDE TITLES IF YOU’RE GOING TO LINK TO THEM
- HYPERLINKS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK IN PREVIEW MODE – BEST NOT TO PUSH YOUR LUCK
Here’s a link to a great resource for Articulate and hyperlinks: http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter09/kb/?p=907
And a list of other gotcha’s that I just have in my head:
- Cannot hyperlink parts of SmartArt
- Don’t make a grouped object a hyperlink. Sometimes it doesn’t work. Put a box on top of it with 98% transparency fill and no outline, then make that box a hyperlink.
- If you make a box a hyperlink, and then put a text box on top of it….the text box will cover up your link!
- You cannot link an shape that has no fill. You must select a fill color, and then set it to 98 or 99% transparency.
- Use the selection pane and name the objects that you are making links. I like to have the linked-to slide and the linked-from object to have the same name. Trust me on this…it’ll make your life MUCH easier in the future.
- Hidden slides are funny. Don’t link to them. Articulate thinks they’re hidden, which they are, so therefore it won’t display them. Make sense? Just put them at the end of the course.
- You can’t use “previous slide”. You’ve got to pick one.
- I try to avoid those auto-action buttons in powerpoint. Articulate really doesn’t like them too much….and anyway, I like to design or “leverage” someone else’s design. So much prettier.